Thursday, March 18, 2010

Artistry & Craftsmanship

Just thought I'd pop in and give ya'll a sneak peek at a project I'm working on that will probably take forever.

The left side has been stripped, sanded, and oiled.  The right is the finish that is currently on all the floors.  On a normal day, the floor is a pretty one, but I just had to peek and see what it could look like.  It's time-consuming work but.......
I'd say it's definitely worth it!

They just don't make 'em like this anymore...not even in the above-average new homes around here!

Yes, I'll eventually get back to posting the bungalow kitchen.  Really. :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a difference! Was the old finish varnish? Do you prefer oil over varnish? That's something I'll need to consider if I ever get around to stripping my floors. :-)

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pam,

    I'm not sure what the old finish was. It was poly of some sort, but not sure if it was oil or water based. It was done more than 30 years ago so it was time for a rehab.

    I have a great deal of stripping left in this room since the door and window trims have a lot of goo in the cracks that would be nicer if it was removed. I don't want to ruin a new finish on the floor with drips from stripping the trim, so I'm just oiling the floor for now to add some moisture and protect the raw wood. It's kind of backward not to do the trim fist, but I'll need to open and dismantle the windows for that and it's still a bit cool for open windows, so I'm messing around with what can be done until it warms up.

    Once the trims and floor are all stripped, I'll put either a tung oil finish (comes in the MinWax yellow can and I use it on just about everything as it soaks in and also makes a hard, glossy, even finish after several coats) and/or an oil-based varnish on it for the high gloss that we love-which or course is personal preference. When I refinished the foyer floor 3 years ago I used 3 coats of varnish on that, so I'll probably go that route again since it's holding up beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful home ! I admire someone who stays true to the period, it's so costly and sooooo much work !!! I especially love the ceiling medallions and painted moulding. I painted in several in our home and gold leafed the Frieze in the living and dining rooms. Tedious, but so worth it.

    gena in nj
    www.thehomeonlavenderhill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete