Saturday, January 23, 2010

Exciting Event!

One day while Googling Pecan Place, I happened to bump into one of the Elder family line who built our house.  He is the great-great-grandson of Horace McClung Elder who created the house in its present form that everyone now knows as "Pecan Place" and the great-grandson of Henry (Harry) Houston and Martha (Mattie) Evelyn Elder whose home was Pecan Place for three-quarters of the last century.  I contacted him and he was kind enough to contact me back.  Neat guy!

The really cool and totally unexpected part was that he forwarded my email to his father and 3 days after Christmas I got an email from him sharing some really great things about the house and the family.  I was so shocked and excited that I couldn't keep a linear train of thought long enough to write him back in a very timely manner.  Let's just say that when I did, it was only a portion of the book I would have written had I asked all my questions! 

All I can say was that was the coolest and most unique Christmas occurrence!  And speaking of Christmas, it seems that Mattie really decorated for the holidays.  I'd love to see pictures of that!  Maybe next Christmas we'll start trying to make her proud.

I hope to hear back from the family soon and will ask to share some current information, stories, memories, and hopefully some pictures!  I'd love to see how the house looked when Harry and Mattie called it home.

2 comments:

  1. This is really cool. I hope you'll share pics here of what they send to you!! I hope all is well with you and Donnie. You are missed on the HGTV GD boards. We need you there! Send me an email soon to let me know what you are doing. The email addy I had for you seems to be outdated. We need to have a good chat! Blessings dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your email address must be on my out-of-service laptop. I'll send you a PM.

    ReplyDelete